Monday, October 10, 2011

Harvest Squash Soup

For Thanksgiving this year, I didn't aim so high as to cook a turkey. But, I did make a nice soup to go along with my parents' delicious turkey dinner.  The soup I made was a butternut squash soup, but you could use any squash you like.  I got the recipe from good ol' Chatelaine a few years ago, and I've been making it ever since.  It's super easy, AND quite low fat.

My only critism with this recipe, now that I've tried it a few times, is that I would prefer it tasting a bit less orang-y.  It isn't bad, but it might be a tad sweet for some.  But the texture is perfect, for not having any cream in it.

This is basically all you need:


Saute the onions and garlic:


Once the onions are soft, add the squash and seasonings:


Then, the chicken broth and orange juice:


With a handy hand blender, you can blend it all in the same pot...less clean ups!


After 30-35 min of simmering the soup, the squash should be tender enough to blend:


Add a little salt and pepper to taste, and that's really all there is to it!


Happy Thanksgiving!


The Recipe: Harvest Squash Soup
Chatelaine, November 11, 2008

Preparation time

 

No comments: